This course provides the qualification to carry out the final accuracy checks on prescriptions. It is based on the Nationally agreed Framework for Checking Technicians.
Who is this course suitable for?
Experienced dispensing staff who have completed NVQ Level 3 in pharmacy services or an equivalent qualification allowing you to register as a pharmacy technician.
Before starting this course, careful consideration should be given to the staff structure in the pharmacy, previous qualifications, past performance in accurate dispensing and communication skills.
It is important to realise that the pharmacist must take legal and ethical responsibility for everything that happens in the pharmacy including the work of the accuracy checker.
What does this course contain?
This course material includes two guides, one for the tutor and one for the trainee, and contains:
- Step by step guide to working through the course
- Guided reading
- Details on how to develop the necessary Standard Operating Procedures (SOP)
- Guidance on how to complete the evidence portfolio required for the final assessment.
How will I be assessed?
The assessments include:
- Assessment questions and activities
- Reflective exercises
- Portfolio of evidence of practice based activities - minimum of 1000 items recorded
- Monthly appraisals with supervising pharmacist
- Final assessment - carried out by an independent NPA assessor at an offsite venue.
The work must be completed and sent to the NPA for marking by a pharmacist training officer who will provide feedback on your work.
How long will it take to complete the course?
You are required to complete the course within a minimum of 3 months to a maximum of 12 months.
Do I get a certificate of completion?
Yes - following the submission of a satisfactory portfolio of work and successful completion of final assessment.
How much does this course cost1?
Cost: £279.00 (plus VAT)
When do I have to register by?
Any time of year.
How do I enrol on this course2?
Order code: AID001
To register on this course please request an enrolment form from the Professional Development team:
1Your employer will be invoiced.
2You must be an NPA member to register staff on this course. Non member enrolment will incur a 50% mark up (discretional) on the advertised cost.