Student Membership Terms and Conditions
Student Membership Benefits
National Pharmacy Association Student Membership benefits, and the terms on which they are conferred, are set out below.
- Website, resources and Publication Services
- Pharmacy Support and Advice Service
- Professional Development Services
- Professional Indemnity and Public Liability Insurance Services
- NPA Sales and Supplier Partner Services
- Intellectual Property rights
- Force Majeure
- Breach of these terms
- Limitation of Liability
1. Website, resources and Publication Services
This service permits you to download information leaflets, business briefs and a range of resource packs from our website (npa.co.uk). All information is copyright protected, not for public use and cannot be used (other than by you) or reproduced without our express prior written permission.
Any information on our website, including any publications and resources, may be discontinued, added to, or supplemented, from time to time as we think appropriate.
- News feeds and email alerts – as part of your Student Membership we will keep you up to date with the latest issues, government policies, development opportunities and events and promotions and Student Member benefits which we feel may be of interest to you by email. In addition we offer RSS feeds, a web content feed to keep you informed of changes to content on our website.
2. Pharmacy Support and Advice Service
Your membership gives you online access to the NPA’s information database (IRIS). Information provided includes advice on the:
- Drug Tariff, pharmacy law & ethics, employment law including health & safety, clinical queries involving drug interactions, safety of drugs during pregnancy and breastfeeding, travel advice, veterinary queries, foreign drug equivalents, drug identification, how to set-up and manage new services, NHS contractual obligations, sources and suppliers of equipment, goods and services.
We will regularly review your use of the service and notify you if we deem your use to be excessive; or otherwise use the service in a manner that we deem to be unreasonable or fraudulent. If we are concerned about your use of the service, we may require you to modify or limit your use and/or your use may affect your entitlement to renew your Student Membership. In the case of any dispute as to whether your usage is excessive or unreasonable in any particular situation, our decision will be final.
3. Professional Development Service
As an accredited provider, we offer pharmacy training courses (at our then prevailing charges). These courses will be supplied on the following terms (which will be supplemented and/or superseded by such further terms as we shall from time to time require):
- The fee for each course will be advised separately. Fees are payable in full at the commencement of the course. All fees must be paid on time. If they are not paid on time, we reserve the right to require the immediate removal of the relevant candidate or candidate from the relevant course or courses, notwithstanding that, at that time they may already have started the same.
- Any candidate who fails to adhere to the required timetable of any relevant course is required to contact the NPA as soon as possible. Any candidate, not completing the relevant course within three years of its commencement, will automatically be discontinued from the course, without refund or rebate in respect of any course fees paid.
- Course fees are non-refundable in the event of any cancellation, other than in exceptional circumstances and agreed in writing by the NPA Head of Professional Development or Member Liaison Manager. If any refund is made (it being noted that we are not obliged to give any refund) it will be net of a 20% administration fee which will be deducted by the NPA.
- Course bookings are not transferable by one candidate to another, without our prior written consent.
- Copyright in all course materials is expressly vested in the NPA. No course material, or any part thereof, may be copied or reproduced in any way, without our prior written consent. Course material is for single use only, in other words it may only be used by the candidate to whom it is specifically issued. It may not be used by or passed to any other individual, without our prior written consent.
For pre-registration trainees we also offer a free placement service. This service will help you try and find a placement within a community pharmacy. Whilst efforts will be made to find you a placement, we cannot be held responsible if you fail to do so.
4. Professional Indemnity and Legal Defence Insurance
Professional indemnity is provided free of charge for NPA Students Members undergoing a work placement, but is subject to completion of the application form and confirmation of cover by us. Please see separate policy terms and insurance information.
5. NPA Sales and Supplier Partner Services
Subject to separate terms and conditions which can be viewed at www.npa.co.uk/sales
These terms, together with the application form complete the NPA Student Membership agreement. Failure to pay monies owed annually within 15 days of the due date shall lead to a suspension of membership benefits including insurance cover. This Agreement is governed by and shall be construed in accordance with English law. The NPA reserves the right to set special payment terms in exceptional circumstances.
Your membership is personal and cannot be assigned nor transferred to anybody else.
8. Intellectual Property rights
The words National Pharmacy Association, NPA, NPA Insurance, inpharmacy, Consult and Treat and any logo associated therewith, are protected by intellectual property law. You hereby undertake not to refer to, nor copy nor reproduce, any of the foregoing on your website or otherwise, nor to refer to or suggest a connection with the National Pharmacy Association and/or the NPA, whether as a result of your membership of the same, or otherwise, without our prior written permission.
9. Force Majeure
We will not be liable for any delay in performing and/or failure to perform any service, as a result of any circumstances beyond our reasonable control, including without limitation, strikes, lock-outs or other industrial disputes (whether involving our workforce or that of any other party), failure of a utility service or transport network, act of God, war, riot, civil commotion, malicious damage, compliance with any law or governmental order, rule, regulation or direction, accident, breakdown of plant or machinery, fire, flood, storm or default of suppliers or subcontractors.
10. Breach of these Terms
If you are in breach of any of the above terms in respect of any of the above Services, without prejudice to any rights that we may have under our articles of association to take action in respect of your Student Membership, we may, entirely at our option, immediately suspend your access to the relevant Service and/or any other Services, for such duration as we shall from time to time think fit, or (where we feel that the same is justified) indefinitely, without explanation to you.
11. Limitation of Liability
Nothing in these Terms shall limit or exclude our liability for:
- fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation; or
- any matter that we are unable to limit or exclude our liability for by law.
Subject as above:
- we shall not be liable to you, whether in contract, tort (including negligence), breach of statutory duty, or otherwise, for any loss of profit, or for any indirect or consequential loss arising under or in connection with any service we offer to you; and
- our total liability to you in respect of all other losses arising under or in connection with any services we offer to you, whether in contract, tort (including negligence), breach of statutory duty, or otherwise, shall not exceed £10,000,000.
Except as set out in these terms, all warranties, conditions and other terms implied by statute or common law are, to the fullest extent permitted by law, excluded from these terms.
A Student member may rescind their membership at any time by giving one month’s written notice to the NPA so that termination shall only be effective on or after the end date shown in your schedule and setting all monies owed.