Archived on 29 October 2021 – this content has expired.
COP26 Business Contingency Plan
26th October 2021
At least 30 000 attendees are expected to attend with a planned activist walk through the city on Sat 6th November potentially bringing up to 100 000 people into the city. Many roads are closed for the duration of the conference which with the influx of visitors, will affect businesses and health care services across Glasgow and possibly across Scotland. Scottish Government are advising to also expect unplanned events that could affect travel and business at short notice.
If your pharmacy is near the SEC, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde will have been working with you to support your preparation for the duration of the event, however nearby towns and other Scottish cities will also have an increased number of visitors. Distribution networks including from medicine wholesaler depots may have to amend delivery schedules or experience unplanned delays. Pharmacy staff could have travel difficulties in getting to work in Glasgow and other primary care services may be harder to access, increasing the flow of people to pharmacy for Pharmacy First and Unscheduled care.
Key points for pharmacy teams:
In preparation for COP26:
- Check with your local NHS Board for any specific directions during the conference
- Confirm with your wholesalers any changes to schedules or increased order times
- Discuss travel plans with staff to identify any travel to work issue
- Plan communications to patients around medicine ordering and delivery expectations
- Ensure Pharmacy First PGDs and the PF Approved List are up to date for all pharmacists who work in the pharmacy
- Ensure training and information for Unscheduled care PGD for Urgent supply of repeat medicines and direct referral to out of hours services are up to date
- Refresh staff training on emergency supply of medicine regulations when supply is not covered by Unscheduled care npa.co.uk/information-and-guidance/emergency-supply-of-poms/
- Review your business contingency plan. An NPA template is available at npa.co.uk/information-and-guidance/business-continuity-plan-template/
For more information:
Please contact the Pharmacy Services team for further advice and support: