COVID-19 vaccination requirement for people working in or entering a care home.
3rd November 2021
The Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) has published guidance on the The Health and Social Care Act 2008 (Regulated Activities) (Amendment) (Coronavirus) Regulations 2021 requiring all individuals, including pharmacy staff, entering a care home setting to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 from 11 November 2021. The vaccination requirement only applies to people who enter a care setting – this does not include any surrounding grounds. If the person is not entering the premises, they would not need to provide proof of vaccination. The regulations apply to all Care Quality Commission (CQC) registered nursing or residential care homes which provide accommodation together with nursing or personal care. Staff or people who live in Scotland or Wales must still provide proof of vaccination or medical exemption when entering care settings in England.
Key points for pharmacy teams:
- Pharmacy teams will not be able to enter CQC registered nursing or residential care homes unless they have provided the registered person with satisfactory evidence that they:
- Have been vaccinated with the complete course of a MHRA authorised vaccine, or
- Have not be vaccinated for clinical reasons (i.e. they are exempt for medical reasons; see information on how to apply for COVID-19 medical exemption)
- Visiting professionals and pharmacy staff who are under 18 will be able to enter the care home without showing proof of vaccination status, however, may need to demonstrate proof that they are under 18.
- Pharmacy teams may present their COVID-19 status using one of the following:
- The NHS App
- The NHS website – uk
- NHS COVID Pass letter
- While booster doses are not currently required by regulation, pharmacy teams are strongly encouraged to receive a booster dose
- Couriers and delivery drivers would not need to show proof of their vaccination or medical exemption as long as they are not entering the care setting
- A full comprehensive list of who can enter the care setting can be found in the DHSC Guidance.
Please contact the Pharmacy Services team for further advice and support: