Community pharmacy Hepatitis C antibody testing Advanced Service
28 Aug 2020
This new Advanced Service will commence on 1 September 2020
The Community pharmacy Hepatitis C antibody testing Advanced Service, focuses on providing point-of-care testing to people who inject drugs, such as heroin or steroids, and who are not currently receiving substance misuse treatment. This is part of NHS England and NHS Improvement’s national programme to eliminate hepatitis C virus by 2025, in-line with the goals set by the World Health Organisation who would like the hepatitis C virus to be eliminated by 2030.
The Community pharmacy Hepatitis C antibody testing Advanced Service can be undertaken by any community pharmacy meeting the service requirements; however, it is likely to be of more interest to those currently providing a locally commissioned needle and syringe service. When a person is tested positive for hepatitis C, they are to be referred for a confirmatory test and treatment, as required. Those interested should read the Service Specification in full, consider the costs that may be involved in providing the Advanced Service, and whether there will be sufficient client numbers to make the investment worthwhile.
Details of Community pharmacy Hepatitis C antibody testing Advanced Service:
- Full details, including guidance on starting and providing the service, record keeping, payments details, and consent, referral, record forms can be found within the Service Specification: https://www.england.nhs.uk/publication/service-specification-community-pharmacy-hepatitis-c-antibody-testing-service-advanced-service/
- Community pharmacies may be asked to provide service evaluation and monitoring purpose reports
- Payment is £36 per test undertaken for an eligible person, plus the cost of the test itself – claims are to be made every month through the Manage Your Service (MYS) portal via NHS Business Services Authority, no later than the fifth of the month following in which it was provided
- The Community pharmacy Hepatitis C antibody testing Advanced Service is to initially run until 31 March 2022
Please contact the Pharmacy Services team for further advice and support:
- Telephone: 01727891800 (Mon-Fri 9am to 6pm, Sat 9am to 1pm)
- Email: email@example.com