MSN: Intal® (sodium cromoglicate) CFC-free inhaler 5mg/dose (08/07/20)
14 Jul 2020
A medicine supply notification has been issued in England and Northern Ireland stating Intal® (sodium cromoglicate) CFC-inhaler 5mg/dose manufactured by Sanofi will be out of stock until mid-November 2020.
A medicines supply notification has been issued in England (MSN/2020/040) and Northern Ireland (MPS 2678) stating Intal® (sodium cromoglicate) CFC-inhaler 5mg/dose manufactured by Sanofi will be out of stock until mid-November 2020. In order to maintain patients on this treatment during the out of stock period, unlicensed supplies of sodium cromoglicate CFC-free inhaler 5mg/dose have been sourced.
Key points for pharmacy teams
- Please read in full detail the Medicine Supply Notification MSN/2020/040 and MPS 2678
- Advise prescriber to consider reviewing the patient in line with the BTS guidelines, considering an inhaled corticosteroids which is considered the first line preventer if appropriate. In addition, the GINA guidelines advise against the use of chromones for routine use
- Advise prescribers to consider switching patients to unlicensed preparation if appropriate
- Unlicensed sodium cromoglicate CFC-free inhalers cannot be prescribed on EPS prescriptions because these items are not listed on dm+d (England only)
- Prescribers must annotate FP10 and HS21 prescriptions with specific annotation of “special order” to indicate that an unlicensed product is required.
References and further reading:
Please contact the Pharmacy Services team for further advice and support: