Patient safety (MSO)
Promoting the safe use of medicines. Use our Patient Safety Incident form to report your medication error.
The NPA’s Chief Pharmacist Leyla Hannbeck is acting as the Medication Safety Officer (MSO) for all independent community pharmacies in England with fewer than 50 branches. The Medication Safety Service is currently being piloted for Scottish NPA member.
Responsibilities for supporting pharmacy businesses and superintendents include:
- Promoting the safe use of medicines across the pharmacies
- Implementing local and national medication safety initiatives
- Improving patient safety on a day-to-day basis
- Submitting medication error reports
- Improving reporting and learning from medication incidents
- Responding to requests from the Patient Safety Domain in NHS England and Medicines Healthcare product Regulatory Agency (MHRA) for further information about medication error incidents.
The Patient Safety Incident report form England enables independent community pharmacies with fewer than 50 branches to report medication errors quickly and conveniently. The Scotland Patient Safety Incident Report should be used for members in Scotland. Completed forms can be printed in the pharmacy or users can request that the form is emailed to them. Keeping completed forms can help pharmacies to meet the record-keeping standards for principle 1 of the General Pharmaceutical Council (GPhC) inspection model. Incidents reported using this form do not need to be separately reported via the National Reporting and Learning System (NRLS) as the NPA passes the information from the completed forms to NHS Improvement, in an anonymised format.
Contact the Pharmacy Services team on 01727 891800 / 0330 1231035 or by emailing them for more information.
- Read our guidance for completing the Patient Safety Incident Report Form.
- Patient Safety Incident Report Form England
- Patient Safety Incident Report Form – Scotland
- Concomitant use of alcohol with methadone: risks and FAQs
- Dispensing process: best practice
- Preventing Dispensing Incidents Involving Liquid Preparations
- Patient Safety Alert Factsheet
- Patient Safety Alert Audit Sheet
- Measurement and Administration of liquid medicines
- Supplying Insulin
- Supplying Opioid medicines
- Supply paraffin based skin products
- Supplying oral anti-cancer medicines
- Supplying anticoagulant therapy
- Supplying oral methotrexate
- Dealing with an incident
- Dealing with a CD incident
MSO quarterly updates
- 2016 Quarter 4 – October – December 2016
- 2016 Quarter 3 – July – September 2016
- 2016 Quarter 2 – April – June 2016
- 2016 Quarter 1 – January – March 2016
- 2015 Quarter 4 – October – December 2015
- 2015 Quarter 3 – July – September 2015
- 2015 Quarter 2 – March – June 2015
Scotland patient safety incident reports