NHS PFS will:
- Improve access to advice and NHS treatment for common clinical conditions
- Promote care through community pharmacy
- Help manage demand on GPs and nurses where appropriate
- Identify patients who should be referred elsewhere in the NHS
NPA support for NHS PFS:
- The NPA comprehensive Standard Operating Procedure for NHS Pharmacy First Scotland can be adapted to your pharmacy procedures.
- Red Flag Symptoms Alert Factsheets– The NPA have produced a series of factsheets for common clinical conditions which patients may request to use NHS PFS. Each factsheet covers one condition’s common symptoms and highlights when the symptoms may be indicative of serious illness requiring referral. The factsheets are excellent training aids for the pharmacy team useful in quality improvement discussions with staff.
- Cegedim Pharmacy First video –Watch CegedimRx video on NHS Pharmacy First. Cegedim Rx kindly supported the recent NPA virtual forum 22nd July on preparation for NHS PHS
Other useful NHS PFS resources:
- SBAR (Situation, background, assessment, recommendation) patient referral template