In addition to being fully accredited by the GPhC, this course is certified by the awarding body Pearson. The course goes through the NPA’s own in-house quality assurance process, giving you the reassurance that your Pre-registration Trainee Pharmacy Technician receives the highest quality of training, as you would expect from the NPA. The Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Pharmacy Service Skills together with the GPhC accredited underpinning Knowledge Programme is an integrated course tailored to suit the needs of the learner and the pharmacy.
- Development of professional awareness and pharmacy practice
- Provides the learner with the skills and knowledge for progression within the pharmacy
- Supports progression to an Accuracy Checking Technician (ACT)
- A Pre-registration Pharmacy Technician frees the pharmacist allowing more time for patient care and increased service provision
- Improved skill mix within the pharmacy team
- Prepares the learner to be able to deal with routine pharmacy queries and support the pharmacist with day-to-day running of the pharmacy
- Enhanced professional service to the pharmacy customers
This course is adding more interest, value and responsibility to my role
Suhanini Dangeti, Pre-registration Pharmacy Technician
This course is suitable for any member of the pharmacy support team wishing to embark on a career as a pharmacy technician.
The course comprises 20 knowledge-based modules and 17 competency-based units.
Knowledge-based modules cover topics such as:
- Role of the pharmacy technician
- Pharmacy practice and procedures
- Pharmacy law and ethics
- Drug Tariff
- Actions and uses of drugs (across a number of key
- Pharmaceutical science
- Dispensing, product formulation and aseptic
- Preparation for registration
Competency-based units cover topics such as:
- Stock management
- Customer support
- Health and safety
Knowledge-based modules are paper-based and competency- based units are available in two formats, either a paper based portfolio or an e-portfolio. The e-portfolio format is specifically configured for the Pharmacy Technician qualification and offers flexibility to deliver learning in an efficient way.
If you are studying the NVQ course and would like to access the Master Forms, please click on this link.
The course includes 20 knowledge-based modules and 17 competency based units to be completed over two years.
Module assessments include:
- Multiple choice questions
- Case studies
- Calculation papers
Unit assessments include:
- Evidence gathering activities including professional discussions with an NPA assessor and direct observations of practice
Each Module and Unit must be completed and sent to your allocated external NPA assessor who will grade and provide feedback on the work.
1. National Vocational Qualification: Pearson Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Pharmacy Service Skills.
2. Certificate of Unit Credit: Pearson Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Pharmacy Service Skills.
3. Certificate from the NPA to show completion of a knowledge-based qualification accredited by the GPhC in the relevant units.
Transfer enrolment form
Students who have completed the ADAC course within 15 months of enrolment, are able to transfer directly onto Module 5.
National Vocational Qualification by Pearson + Certificate of Unit Credit + Completion Certificate from the NPA - see Assessment for full details.
Applications are accepted throughout the year.
£1,250 + VAT
£1,875 + VAT
£1,130 + VAT
£1,695 + VAT
Paper (ADAC transfer)
£1,065.00 + VAT
£1597.50 + VAT
Blended learning (ADAC transfer)
£985.00 + VAT
£1477.50 + VAT