Vaccination training for Pharmacy technicians
The NPA offers vaccination training for registered pharmacy technicians through its training provider, ECG Training.
This training has been made available to enable registered pharmacy technicians* to be able to administer vaccinations under Patient Specific Directions (PSD) but not for administration of vaccinations under a Patient Group Direction (PGD), unless there is a change in legislation in the future.
Vaccination training for Pharmacy Technicians
The vaccination training for Pharmacy technicians combines online training with a face-to-face course. The full face-to-face session will have delegates from a variety of backgrounds, to help consolidate a pharmacy technician’s learning, pick up tips from others who work within community pharmacy and provide plenty of opportunity to practise new skills.
The registered pharmacy technician will get access to the following online training modules:
- Vaccination, anaphylaxis & BLS
- Covid vaccinations
For more information about what is covered in the practical training session, click here.
Please read this before purchasing a training session:
- Purchasing this training package for vaccination training will NOT permit you to use a Patient Group Direction (PGD)
- Current legislation permits PGDs to be used by specific healthcare professionals ONLY: registered pharmacy technicians are NOT one of these professionals
- For this reason, you will not have access to a PGD
- You may use the training to conduct vaccinations ONLY if the pharmacy or your place of work has a legal method for you to deliver the vaccinations
- If this is the case, following completion of your practical training you must undertake a period of supervised practice in your workplace, i.e. you cannot vaccinate patients independently straight away. This is the same as for registered pharmacists
- Please refer to your Responsible Pharmacist or Superintendent Pharmacist, for further details or contact the ECG team at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note: Registered pharmacy technicians who do vaccinate will need to purchase
additional Indemnity insurance.
* This training is also suitable for trainee pharmacists (formerly known as pre-registration pharmacists).
To enrol onto the training course and see the locations and dates for the face-to-face training sessions, please visit: https://ecgtraining.co.uk/npa