Debenhams Ottaway is a law firm that helps individuals, families and businesses in Hertfordshire, London and across the UK to navigate legal challenges and make the most of new opportunities, both at home and in business.
Our dedicated healthcare sector team provides legal and practical advice on a broad range of issues faced by businesses and individuals operating in the sector, from the day to day running of a business to more complex challenges. Our advice extends to business acquisitions and disposals, commercial contracts, property acquisitions and disposals, employment issues and, when necessary, litigation.
All NPA members will benefit from an initial free no obligation telephone consultation.
- Corporate and commercial: We work with clients on buying and selling pharmacy businesses and undertaking joint ventures, producing and reviewing commercial agreements, and advising on constitutional matters, such as directors’ duties, share schemes, bespoke articles of association, shareholders’ agreements, limited liability partnership agreements and partnership agreements
- Banking and finance: We work with clients on obtaining bank finance and providing security (such as legal mortgages, debentures, corporate guarantees and personal guarantees) whether for trading purposes or as part of an acquisition
- Commercial property: We work with clients on property sales and acquisitions. Our lawyers understand the requirements and limitations for pharmacy businesses when initiating various processes, including refinancing debt and extending leases. Teaming up with secured lenders, we ensure that funding is in place and that all the relevant legal requirements are met
- Commercial litigation: We help businesses with a variety of complex disputes, including commercial and property disputes, insolvency and commercial debt recovery
- Employment: Our experience ranges from reviewing employment contracts/consultancy agreements to helping employers with a range of often complex employment issues and claims. Those particularly relevant to the healthcare industry include whistleblowing and performance management together with advising on the process of TUPE transfers on a business sale or purchase
- Private wealth: We help pharmacy professionals to protect and manage their wealth now and in the future through inheritance tax mitigation, estate planning, succession planning, trust establishment and estate administration advice. We have one of the largest and most experienced Wills, trusts and probate teams in Hertfordshire
Find out more about the healthcare team.
We can provide NPA members with virtual or face to face webinars/training on key legal issues.
Many of our teams and individuals are recognised in the leading legal directories (Chambers UK and Legal 500) as leaders in their specific areas, this provides reassurance to NPA members that they are in safe hands.
Cost to members:
We offer three main fee options and NPA members would get a 10% discount on whatever option they choose.
The first is an hourly rate basis.The second option is a fixed fee approach with clearly defined parameters, and which would increase if the scope of work changed during the relevant matter.
The third option is a variation on the second option – a fixed fee which doesn’t change even if unexpected (additional) work or complexities arise.
|“Andrew Yates (corporate and commercial) has been very professional in dealing with the sale process, including ensuring that documents were turned around efficiently, queries answered appropriately and in a timely fashion and keeping us updated. We are grateful to him for this.” Minel Gohil, Gohil Pharmacy
|“They turned everything round very efficiently, I will recommend Debenhams Ottaway and the team and ask that the sales consultants at Hutchings do too.” Luke Williams, Associate Director at Hutchings Consultants
|“I have used Debenhams Ottaway on a couple of occasions previously and it was the best decision I could have made. I dealt with Louise, and she and her team were superb, professional, courteous and I genuinely believe she cares about her clients and their legal outcomes. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend and will certainly be using them in the future should I need their invaluable experience.” – Google review
|“…they are a very good team – a very strong corporate and commercial offering with a thorough grasp of the law while offering pragmatic commercialism which helps clients to achieve their goals.” Corporate and commercial, The Legal 500 UK 2023
|Debenhams Ottaway has “a multi-disciplinary practice covering a wide range of property areas. They provide a central London service for lower rates than their London competitors”. Commercial property, The Legal 500 UK 2023
|“From day one Debenhams Ottaway has been professional, extremely knowledgeable, patient and understanding, compassionate and caring but still straight to the point as is required, efficient and always on the ball. Originally Debenhams Ottaway were recommended to me and in turn I now highly recommend this firm.” Google review
|“I can strongly confirm that Ruth Boulton (commercial property) has been outstanding and at times someone for me to let off steam. Ruth is an absolute gem and if I ever hear people needing a firm of lawyers for anything I will immediately be passing your details over.” David Wynn, Kings Cross Dental Clinic