Incident Reporting Platform (IRP)
***Updated platform launched***
Click 'More' to report***
Patient Safety Incident form
Patient Safety Incident report form
***Click 'More' to report***
Cross-reference medicine safety alerts with HSCB
***Click 'More' to report to HSCB***
Scroll down for incident reporting templates
Leyla Hannbeck, NPA Director of Pharmacy, is the Medication Safety Officer (MSO) for all independent community pharmacies in England with fewer than 50 branches.
MSO responsibilities for supporting pharmacy businesses and superintendents include:
- Promoting medicines safe use
- Implementing local and national medication safety initiatives
- Improving patient safety on a day-to-day basis
- Submitting incident error reports
- Improving reporting and learning from patient safety incidents
- Responding to requests from the Patient Safety Domain in NHS England and Medicines Healthcare product Regulatory Agency (MHRA) for further information about medication error incidents
The Incident Reporting Platform (IRP): updated user-friendly platform will help you complete incident reporting effectively and in a methodological order – IRP guidance coming soon!
The Medication Safety Service is currently being piloted in Scotland.
Read our guidance for completing the Patient Safety Incident Report form
Patient safety incident reporting templates to compile monthly and annual incidents information to analyse and share at premises level are available here.
Patient safety NPA resources, updates and reports:
***Packaging changes for some buprenorphine patches***
Butec and Transtec (buprenorphine) patches will now be supplied in child-resistant sachets, which means the sealed sachets must now be cut with scissors rather than being torn open as previously. The Patient Information Leaflet, and markings on the sachet have been updated to indicate the change.
- Pharmacists and pharmacy teams are advised to counsel patients on this change which will be effective in all new stock bearing serialisation codes
Adrenaline: alerts, information and stock update
The NPA has a dedicated adrenaline webpage (open access) detailing updates on all adrenaline-related news, information and stock availability.
***Urgent alert*** The validation protocol for AAI 150mcg has been stopped throughout the UK – manufacturer validation process may still apply; read for more details
Valproate: risk during pregnancy
The high risks associated with valproate exposure during pregnancy remains a high priority patient safety concern; alerts have been issued via: NHS Improvement (England), Patient Safety Wales (Wales), Healthcare Improvement Scotland (Scotland), Safety Quality and Standards Circulars (NI)
MSO quarterly updates (England)
Patient safety incident reports (Scotland)