How will Community Pharmacy funding be distributed?
The £2.592bn contract sum is the total amount of national funding that the government intends to deliver to community pharmacies in England throughout the financial year.
This funding is distributed to pharmaciesthrough a combination of fees and retained margin.
What can I do right now to prepare for changes to the pharmacy contract in England ?
- Read the NPA’s initial reaction to the pharmacy contract.
- In light of the fact that there will be no more new money for dispensing volume, think again about how you can either cut costs or work smarter and efficiently in your business and consider the skill mix in your pharmacy. There are lots of practical tips in the Spring edition of InPharmacy magazine.
- Start thinking about your engagement with Primary Care Networks, liaising with your LPC. Take a look at this blog from some intrepid NPA members already beginning their own PCN journey and follow them over the months ahead to learn from their progress.
- Build your local connectivity by speaking to your LPC Independent Representative and team and work to build even more positive relationships with your key GP surgery teams.
- Review the new Quality Payment criteria for the second half of the financial year. Start thinking about how you can deliver them.
- Watch PSNC’s webinar on the five-year CPCF and register for one of PSNC’s contract roadshow events
- Watch NPA’s webinar on the NHS Community Pharmacist Consultation Service: a golden opportunity for your pharmacy? . FAQs can be downloaded here
- Watch our series of webinar on Contract and Funding here
Professional Development courses to take:
- Improve on the clinical knowledge you will need to deliver the range of services now in the NHS service development pipeline, and record this as CPD. Consider refreshing knowledge on minor illnesses and Hep C testing. You can access the NPA’s CPD hub here.
- Make sure you are, or are on track to become a Healthy Living Pharmacy. It will be a requirement by the Terms of Service to have attained HLP Level 1 status by April 2020. Access this course here.
Have you say:
- Let us know your thoughts on plans to change pharmacy reimbursement systems. The current DHSC consultation seeks to deliver a fairer share of margin, but some changes may have unintended consequences. Have your say at email@example.com
The PQS action plan and checklist is intended to ensure you meet the criteria for the February 2020 review period, the checklist may assist you.