Little Known Facts About Apprenticeships
- Apprenticeships are not what they used to be
- They are no longer just for low wage earners wanting to learn a trade. An apprentice can be of any age, background or career level
- New and existing staff can join your apprenticeship programme
- The Apprenticeship Levy that came into place in April 2017 means if your annual wage bill is >£3M your business will already have a levy pot that you can claim from
- There is government funding available for the majority of businesses to take advantage of
- Having an apprentice does not have to mean long spells away from the pharmacy. The majority of their learning will be on the job
- If you do not yet fully understand the benefits of having an apprentice, you are not alone
Help Your Business
- On average an apprentice boosts productivity by £244 per week*
- Pharmacy apprenticeship standards are developed by pharmacy employers
- Having an apprentice can help to meet the changing needs of your business
- Apprentices become highly skilled even before they finish their training
- You can train your apprentice in a specific way to suit your pharmacy
- Having an apprentice can reinforce a culture of learning in the workplace
- Offering an apprenticeship can help you to recruit and strengthen your pharmacy team
As a pharmacy owner you can show your commitment to the local community by helping others to develop their skills and progress their career.
- 97% of apprentices said their ability to perform their role had improved**
- 92% of apprentices said their career prospects had expanded**
- Employing a 16-18 year old apprentice comes with financial incentives
Having an Apprentice Can
- Improve productivity
- Reduce your costs
- Improve customer perception of your pharmacy
- Reinforce a culture of learning within the workplace
* Department of Business, Innovation and Skills 2016
** Education and Skills Funding Agency February 2017
**** The Chartered Management Institute (CIM) March 2018
The pharmacy retail apprenticeship is a cost-effective package that could save members in England considerable time and money if you enrol an apprentice.
The L&D team has produced a set of FAQs for NPA members in England on the new pharmacy retail apprenticeship
Gain an overview of our pharmacy retail apprenticeship for members in England by watching the video on demand. Please be aware this was recorded in 2020 and incentives no longer apply.
All apprentices must complete 20% off-the-job training. This does not mean that they have to be away from the pharmacy all that time. We provide examples of what can be included in this training.
Find out the latest update from the NPA on pharmacy apprenticeships
Find out how it works and what you can claim.