Core Membership services
We have been supporting community pharmacies to succeed professionally and commercially for the benefit of their patients, for nearly 100 years.
For pharmacy groups need only the core NPA services, the following services are provided as part of Core Membership:
1. Representing You – The NPA is the representative voice of independent community pharmacy across the UK.
- Influencing policy
- Influencing regulations
- Informing the NHS
- Influencing public opinions
- Influencing the wider community pharmacy sector
We make the case that pharmacies are essential to the health of the nation and that the sector requires consistent support to fulfil its potential. We will continue to campaign vigorously for local pharmacies, and the patients and communities that you serve. As a member, you can shape our policy positions and therefore the message that we put across to Government.
2. Pharmacy Services & Support – Your NPA membership gives you access to the UK’s most comprehensive service of pharmacy information and one-to-one advice from experts who really care:
- Pharmacy services telephone advice line – expert telephone advice from experienced pharmacists, pharmacy technicians and industry experts who are on hand to provide you with personalised advice on any clinical, practice, legal or supply issue.
- IRIS – unlimited access to the UK’s largest database of pharmacy information
- GPhC resources – an extensive suite of support and products to help you prepare for an inspection including tips to help you achieve the required standards
- NHS Services – to help you with SCR, EPS, Murs, NMS and DMR (Wales)
- Travel Health – latest information on malaria prophylaxis and vaccination requirements
- Patient safety – The NPA patient safety reporting form is quick and convenient to use. Before submitting, the form can be printed, or emailed, to be kept in-line with professional standards. Jasmine Shah (NPA’s Head of Advice & Support Services) is the new Medication Safety Officer for independent community pharmacies in England with fewer than 50 branches.
- SOPs – easy to use templates designed specifically for business pharmacists.
- FMD – information and guidance to help you with the challenges of Falsified Medicines
- Resource library – A comprehensive, searchable directory containing important clinical advice, including SOPs, updates, resources, end of month reminders and more in one place.
- Pharmacy vacancies – A recruitment platform when recruiting or looking to apply for a vacancy.
3. Comprehensive Insurance Cover – The NPA is there when you need us most, ensuring that you are protected by experts who care. Professional Indemnity and Public Liability Insurance provides cover for NPA members, their employees and engaged locums to protect them in the event of making a professional mistake during the course of their work, together with defence, representation, legal advice and assistance on matters connected with their business and affairs.
- Professional indemnity insurance on claims occurring basis Product and public liability Product liability Legal liability – benefit from the best in class cover for up to £10 million
A range of business and personal insurance policies are also available at competitive prices:
- (General) Business insurance (pharmacy, commercial property, commercial vehicle)
- (General) Personal insurance (house, car, holiday)
5. Learning and Development – The NPA Learning & Development team offers high quality GPhC accredited and non-accredited courses to upskill all levels of the community pharmacy team. Dedicated support teams are available to answer questions, offer expert advice, share knowledge and experience and offer support throughout all training courses.
- All courses available at preferential rates for NPA members
- Courses designed, developed and supported throughout by experienced Learning & Development
- Access to the NPA Learning Academy, our interactive eLearning platform, plus NPA Learn (previously
CPD Hub) to achieve and record continuous professional development.
More Training courses are available at an attractive member preferential rate:
6. Business Support – The NPA recognises the financial pressures that are upon its members and provide an array of business services that help Pharmacy owners manage their pharmacies more efficiently and profitably.
More products and services are available at an attractive member preferential rate:
- Prescription drop-off service – in partnership with Royal Mail you can easily manager your end of month prescriptions.
- Pro Delivery Manager – Designed for pharmacies who run their own delivery service for an established customer base, Pro Delivery Manager (PDM) is a delivery tracking app which enables you to improve the efficiency of your local delivery service, providing cost savings and enhanced customer relations.
- Clearing House service – Offering one clearing per month to help with large payments
- Business Partners – over 30 carefully vetted Business Partners who can support you with a variety of business functions so you can be assured that you are using a reputable, reliable and trusted supplier
- Pharmacy Essentials – Search over 10,000 pharmacy essentials available via the NPA’s partnership with EMT Healthcare and Lyreco including workwear, pens, envelopes, ink, toner and a vast range of office supplies, prescription handling, fridges, record keeping, medical storage and much more.
7. News and Events – The NPA is at the forefront of the latest industry news which it communicates to its members, adding valuable and practical support information that helps them with the next steps. Regular events, including the annual NPA Conference are also organised to bring together industry experts and members to discuss the latest topics.
- InPharmacy – our online news hub including features and NPA News updates covering a wide range of topics from the Pharmaceutical industry.
- Independent Community Pharmacy magazine – 8 page supplement
- Health Industry campaigns – Be part of the annual Ask Your Pharmacist (AYP) week as well as many more industry events that bring Independent Community Pharmacies together
- National and Local member Events, Forums, and Workshops – provide a strategic focal point to meet, share and network with the NPA and other members and communications from NPA’s Board of Management (some offered at a preferential member rate)
- Webinars – covering a wide range of topics by industry experts which give you an opportunity to put forward your questions
- Weekly emails that cover subjects that matter to you such as the latest consultations, Learning & Development courses, Pharmacy Essentials offers and much more
- FAQs – concise information that helps you with new and emerging topics
What are you missing out on?
The following services are included with Full Membership only:
Employment Law, HR and Health & Safety:
The NPA Advisory Service, provided by WorkNest (formerly known as Ellis Whittam) entitles you to expert advice 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on:
- Employment law – including contracts, disciplinary & grievance procedures
- HR issues – including absence, sickness, holidays and discrimination
- Health & Safety – including manual handling, slips, trips, & fall
Data analytical tools:
- My Pharmacy Insight (UK) – My Pharmacy Insights is powered by Real World Analytics (RWA) and gives NPA members in the UK the opportunity to set and monitor business targets by comparing services and market share with other nearby pharmacies.
- Local Market Insight (LMI) (Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales) – analytics tool that gives you access to unique information about your pharmacy.