Job Description Post Title: DISPENSING MANAGER
• Salary: £ 25,000 to £29000 /- Annum
• Hours: 37.5 Hours/week
• Start Date: 14/02/2017
• End Date: 16/03/2017
The role will involve providing managerial support to the dispensary team with responsibility for the day to day operational management of the dispensary team. Dispensary Manager will be actively involved in the continuous improvement of our dispensing services, recruiting and training dispensary staff, communication with patients, purchasing, stock control and management of controlled drugs. They should also have the ability to maintain an open and supportive relationship with their team, encouraging professional development and demonstrating flexibility within the role.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
• Accurate preparation and dispensing of prescription items in liquid, powder, tablet, ointment or other form by following prescriptions issued by medical doctors or other health professionals in accordance with pharmacy standard operation procedure (SOP).
• Check dosage and ensuring that medicines are correctly and safely supplied and labelled, supervising the preparation of any medicines which require making up.
• Ensure accurate dispensing of drugs at all times following Company SOPS, Policies and GPhC directives and guidelines and NHS regulations.
• Management of the dispensary including workflow ensuring dispensing targets are achieved including wait times.
• To maintain the dispensary protocols keeping it up to date with changes in practice policy and procedures.
• Checks that recommended doses are not being exceeded and that instructions are understood by patients.
• Report dispensing errors immediately to Near miss log sheet.
• Preparing dossette and cassette boxes, usually for the elderly but also for those with memory/learning difficulties, ensure all MAR sheets printed to accurately reflect dosage required. Order prescriptions where necessary.
• Establish and maintain patient profiles securely, including lists of medication taken by patients.
• Being able to prepare, track prescriptions Using the correct pharmacy skills to track any emergency supplies given, keeping and entering legal records of private prescriptions, end of month prescription filling and submission to the PPA is on time and accurate.
• Receive and correctly account for money that is received in the practice for NHS prescription charges, private prescriptions and other fees.
• Able to take repeat request of prescription from patients, manage queries from GP’s practice nurses and other allied healthcare staff and also able to arranging the delivery of prescription medicines to patients.
• Develop new business including developing relationships with Doctors surgeries and local nursing.
• Stock Management, inventory control and making sure those medications and devices are in good supply, good condition, within their expiry date and stored properly.
• Pharmaceutical background is essential
• Understanding of DAC services is essential
• Excellent communication skills
• Customer focused
• Interpersonal skills
• Attention to detail
• People management.
• Good computer skills
• Ability to handle work pressure
• Able to motivate and direct others
• Adheres to standards & procedures, maintain confidentiality.
• This is a leadership role to ensure that all dispensing meets regulatory requirements although it is accepted that the post holder will be required to dispense medications at busy periods or during staff shortages.