Summary job description:
The post-holder will project a positive and friendly image to dispensary patients and other visitors and deal with queries in a professional, courteous and efficient way.
Assist in the preparation, dispensing and sale of prescriptions and over-the-counter medicines/appliances and assist with stock control, ordering and re-stocking of the dispensary.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Issuing stock items and prepared prescriptions
• Collection of prescription charges/checking patient exemption statements
• Operation of efficient stock control appropriate to the needs of the dispensary with the objective of ensuring continuity of supply for patients and minimising wastage
• Ensuring that drugs are received and stored in an appropriate manner in accordance with the manufacturers’ instructions
• Ensuring that refrigerated items are stored at the appropriate temperature and maintaining the temperature control record/logbook
• Cleaning work surfaces and shelving on a regular basis and ensuring that that all dispensary equipment is kept clean and kept in good working order.
• Maintaining full and accurate records of all dispensing transactions.
• Undertaking other reasonable duties within the framework of the post as directed by the Supervising dispenser. ORDERING AND UNPACKING DRUGS AND DRESSINGS.
• Dispensing and checking repeat prescriptions and prescriptions from surgeries under the supervision of a dispenser.
• Taking orders for repeats and dealing with queries from district nurses and support staff.
• Using the computer to keep records up to date.
• Checking with GP’s or in patient records if concerned about the appropriateness of requests for medication.
• Dealing with queries from patients regarding their prescriptions.
• Ordering drugs using the modem link to the wholesalers.
• Some reception work as required as part of the dispensing process.
• Handling controlled drugs (and keeping register).
• Handling prescription money and operating/balancing the till.
• Assisting when required to meet targets in relation to dispensing doctors scheme
• Assisting in stock checks
• Providing cover for annual leave/sickness.
• In the course of seeking treatment, patients entrust us with, or allow us to gather, sensitive information in relation to their health and other matters. They do so in confidence and have the right to expect that staff will respect their privacy and act appropriately
• In the performance of the duties outlined in this Job Description, the post-holder may have access to confidential information relating to patients and their carers, Practice staff and other healthcare workers. They may also have access to information relating to the Practice as a business organisation. All such information from any source is to be regarded as strictly confidential
• Information relating to patients, carers, colleagues, other healthcare workers or the business of the Practice may only be divulged to authorised persons in accordance with the Practice policies and procedures relating to confidentiality and the protection of personal and sensitive data
Health & Safety:
The post-holder will assist in promoting and maintaining their own and others’ health, safety and security as defined in the Practice Health & Safety Policy, to include:
• Using personal security systems within the workplace according to Practice guidelines
• Identifying the risks involved in work activities and undertaking such activities in a way that manages those risks
• Making effective use of training to update knowledge and skills
• Using appropriate infection control procedures, maintaining work areas in a tidy and safe way and free from hazards
• Reporting potential risks identified
Equality and Diversity:
The post-holder will support the equality, diversity and rights of patients, carers and colleagues, to include:
• Acting in a way that recognizes the importance of people’s rights, interpreting them in a way that is consistent with Practice procedures and policies, and current legislation
• Respecting the privacy, dignity, needs and beliefs of patients, carers and colleagues
• Behaving in a manner which is welcoming to and of the individual, is non-judgmental and respects their circumstances, feelings priorities and rights.
The post-holder will participate in any training programme implemented by the Practice as part of this employment, such training to include:
• Participation in an annual individual performance review, including taking responsibility for maintaining a record of own personal and/or professional development
• Taking responsibility for own development, learning and performance and demonstrating skills and activities to others who are undertaking similar work
The post-holder will strive to maintain quality within the Practice, and will:
• Alert other team members to issues of quality and risk
• Assess own performance and take accountability for own actions, either directly or under supervision
• Contribute to the effectiveness of the team by reflecting on own and team activities and making suggestions on ways to improve and enhance the team’s performance
• Work effectively with individuals in other agencies to meet patients needs
• Effectively manage own time, workload and resources
The post-holder should recognize the importance of effective communication within the team and will strive to:
• Communicate effectively with other team members
• Communicate effectively with patients and carers
• Recognize people’s needs for alternative methods of communication and respond accordingly
Contribution to the Implementation of Services:
The post-holder will:
• Apply Practice policies, standards and guidance
• Discuss with other members of the team how the policies, standards and guidelines will affect own work
• Participate in audit where appropriate
• HOLIDAY ARRANGEMENTS MUST BE NOTIFIED TO THE RESPONSIBLE PHARMACIST IN THE FIRST INSTANCE WHO WILL THEN INFORM THE PHARMACY MANAGER.
• THE LISTED DUTIES MAY BE SUBJECT TO CHANGE IN LIGHT OF DEVELOPMENTS WITHIN THE PRACTICE AND ARE SUBJECT TO REVIEW.