Kepple Lane Pharmacy is seeking to employ a Pharmacy Technician / ACT to work in our fast-paced and friendly pharmacy.
The applicant will be qualified to at least NVQ level 3 or equivalent in pharmacy services.
Competitive rates of pay.
The position is full-time (39-hour working week).
Part-time applicants will be considered.
All enquiries and applications treated in confidence.
Closing Date – Friday 1st July
JOB TITLE: Accuracy Checking Technician
LOCATION: Kepple Lane Dispensary
RESPONSIBLE TO: Dispensary Manager
To provide an efficient service of the highest quality to the patients and their relatives or carers of Kepple Lane Pharmacy and The Windsor Surgery and Landscape Surgery and to the Doctors of The Windsor Surgery and Landscape Surgery and their support staff. The main duties include receiving and dispensing and prescriptions and checking repeat and acute prescriptions and ordering and receipt of medication.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• To assist The Senior Technician in the day to day running of the dispensary by planning the working day and prioritising staff workloads.
• To deputise in the absence of the Senior Technician.
• To welcome all customers at the front counter and deal with their requests sensitively and with respect and diplomacy.
• To act on patients requests with respect and confidentiality.
• To explain the Health Centre layout and procedures for new patients.
• To advise patients of charges for private prescriptions and accept payment via cash or card.
• To hand out medicines to patients and/or their representative(s) ensuring that the correct prescription / medicine is given out and that the prescription fulfils all prescription regulations.
• To ensure that when medicines are given out that the declaration on the reverse of the prescription is correctly completed or the correct prescription charge is collected.
• To serve and advise patients with counter sales.
• To ensure all confidential material is kept out of public view at all times.
• To check that any queries have been dealt with and follow up any requiring further doctor or patient involvement.
• To rotate stock and check expiry dates.
• To answer the telephone, taking verbal requests and provide any initial information where appropriate.
• Deal with any patient feedback including complaints in compliance with the Dispensary Complaints Procedure in the absence on the Senior Technician.
• To ensure that protocols and procedures are followed in all dispensary duties.
• To dispense NHS prescriptions in accordance with the agreed systems of work practice. This involves printing the correct label, retrieving the correct medicine from the shelf and attaching the label to it.
• To check and add to endorsements on the prescriptions to ensure that the correct reimbursement is received from the PPA.
• To check NHS prescriptions on behalf of the dispensing doctors in accordance with the agreed systems of work practice. This involves checking that the correct label has been attached to the correct medicine for the patient the prescription is intended for.
• To check NHS prescriptions on behalf of the Responsible Pharmacist in accordance with the agreed systems of work practice. This involves checking that the correct label has been attached to the correct medicine for the patient the prescription is intended for.
• To identify inappropriate prescribing and medication errors drawing them to the attention of the Manager Responsible Pharmacist or relevant GP.
• To dispense NHS prescriptions for controlled drugs ensuring that the Laws and Regulations for such drugs are followed.
• To dispense private prescriptions as per NHS prescriptions.
• To record all private prescriptions and charges applicable in the correct book.
• To dispense District Nurse and Dentist prescriptions for registered dispensing patients.
• To photocopy and supply as necessary patient information leaflets for dispensed medicines.
• To dispense and check medication in MDS cards when necessary as directed by the Manager.
• To assist in supervision of the Nursing/Care home service provided by the Dispensary.
• To counsel patients on the correct use of their medicine, when necessary with the support of healthcare professionals.
• To order supplies using the computer ordering system.
• To interpret the replies from the wholesalers regarding out of stocks and manufacturing problems bringing them to the attention of the Manager if necessary.
• To take receipt of, check off and put away deliveries received into the dispensary recording any shortages on the invoice and informing the wholesaler.
• To contact the wholesalers when appropriate, chasing up out of stocks, items to follow and shortages.
• To be responsible for holding controlled drug cabinet keys during shift and entering into the register ensuring that the laws and regulations for such drugs are followed as directed by Responsible Pharmacist.
• To carry out controlled drug balance checks.
• To provide assistance to any healthcare professional entering the dispensary where necessary.
• To assist in the training of new staff members.
• To communicate with both internal and external contacts in a confidential environment with the requirement to use ones own initiative and tact at all times in a professional manner.
• To ensure the smooth hand over of work, messages and correspondence at the end of each shift using the designated communications book where necessary.
• To respond immediately to and direct patients to the most appropriate healthcare professional.
• To prioritise personal workload and to discuss and agree priorities within the Dispensary Team.
• To ensure that the workplace is a clean, tidy and safe environment.
• To ensure that the strictest confidentiality is maintained at all times.
• To assist in satisfaction surveys and audits when deemed necessary.
• To ensure the dispensary is locked each evening.
• To record and monitor Dispensary and refrigerator temperature checks.
• To undertake training where deemed necessary and ensure responsibility is taken for own training and that it is carried out to meet deadlines as prescribed by training course.
• To have the ability to use own judgement, resourcefulness, common sense and local knowledge, to respond to patients enquiries and requests.
• To possess excellent communication skills.
• To be able to work accurately under pressure.
• To undertake appropriate cleaning.
• Remain registered on the GPhC register.
• Continue CPD development as required for GPhC registration.
• Other relevant duties as required by the Manager.
This is not intended to be a comprehensive description of the duties of this post. Due to the company’s commitment to continuous improvement, it is likely that the post will develop over time. These duties will be subject to regular review and any amendments to this job description will be made in consultation and agreement with the post holder.